About Stephen Ambrose D-Day Tours
The American citizen soldiers knew the difference between right and wrong, and they didn’t want to live in a world in which wrong prevailed. So they fought, and won, and all of us, living and yet to be born, must be profoundly grateful.
Founded by Stephen E. Ambrose
Stephen E. Ambrose led his first D-Day to the Rhine Tour in the late 1970s with his friend Peter McLean when he was a professor at the University of New Orleans. The author of several best-selling books, including D-Day: June 6, 1944, and also the founder of The National WWII Museum, his passion for teaching Americans about their nation’s heritage and her heroes motivated him to found Stephen Ambrose Historical Tours along with his niece Dr. Edie Ambrose, her husband, Yakir Katz, and Stephen’s son, Andy Ambrose.
Throughout his career, Dr. Ambrose led many trips to the places that he wrote about, which was a natural extension of his enthusiasm for investigating history. Whether visiting Omaha Beach with D-Day veterans to pay homage to the fallen or having British Major John Howard personally speak about his experience at Pegasus Bridge, he sought to enlighten, entertain, and educate with his D-Day tour.
Today, Stephen Ambrose D-Day Tours carries on his legacy with our D-Day to the Rhine, Operation Overlord and Normandy Tours, continuing to preserve and expand the carefully conceived and executed D-Day tour itineraries inspired by his life’s work.
The Most Experienced D-Day Tour Company
On our D-Day to the Rhine, Operation Overlord and Normandy Tours we have brought thousands of guests, often with veterans, to the battlefields of the Normandy beaches, Operation Market Garden, the Battle of the Bulge and others sacred sites to honor the men who fought for freedom. Our long-standing relationships ensure that our D-Day Tours moves smoothly and that you have a seamless experience. We have learned over the years to pace our D-Day and WWII tours, so that you will be able to enjoy the experience and not be exhausted.
Stephen Ambrose always said that the best way to understand history is to study the places where it was made. Stephen Ambrose D-Day Tours has the most qualified historians lead our D-Day tours, including our Chief Historian, Captain Ronald Drez, who assisted Dr. Ambrose with his research. Our historians are leaders in their field and world-renowned authors. Their extensive research and interviews of D-Day veterans on the very battlefields where they fought gives a soldier’s perspective to our tours.
Exclusive Experiences Not Offered By Other Companies
Because we were founded by Stephen Ambrose, we have insider access to many places and experiences that are significant in American and WWII history that are not offered by other WWII tour companies. Our D-Day vacations are an experience unparalleled in their accuracy, which leave our guests with memories of a lifetime.
The Vacation Of A Lifetime
- Our company has taken many veterans along to share their first-hand experiences. They are our friends.
- We show movies on the bus that illuminate the history of D-Day and World War II in that region.
- We build in time to relax. There are days that we arrive early so that you can have the afternoon to shop and sightsee on your own.
- Our full-time tour escort provides a high level of service to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.
- Our 4- and 3-Star hotels are selected for their historical significance and ideal locations with all the necessary amenities.
- Delicious group dinners are a relaxing and fun time to informally recount the day’s events and enjoy camaraderie.
- Our expert team in the United States includes a full-time historian and experienced logistics persons, making your vacation enjoyable from the very start.
Stephen Ambrose D-Day Tours has extensive experience in designing and customizing private group D-Day tours for different organizations, including student and alumni groups, professional organizations, military associations, and family reunions and vacations.
- We have arranged several military reunion tours, including specialized D-Day Tours for the 197th AAA Battalion, Rangers Battalion, Landing Craft Infantry, and 410 Bomb Group.
- We have operated high school and college educational tours for our D-Day Tours.
- We have worked with universities to put together alumni D-Day tours.